The Peace Park is situated south of the village of Messines / Mesen on the west side of the N365 from Ploegsteert to Messines / Mesen. W.4 (Edition 3D) shows the German trenches and Front Line marked in red in position up to the time of the British attack on Messines on 7th June 1917.
The position of the British Front Line trenches is indicated with a dashed blue line running to the east of Gabion Farm across the lower left hand corner of this map.
The Island of Ireland Peace Park was officially opened on 11th November 1998 by the President of Ireland Mary Mc Aleese in the presence of HM Queen Elizabeth II and King Albert II of Belgium.
Each year a commemorative Remembrance Day service is held at the Tower at 11.00 hours on 11th November.
The photograph is taken looking in a south-easterly direction from the high ground of the Messines Ridge with the Tower behind the camera.
This high ground was held by the Germans from October 1914 to 7th June 1917.
The tower was built as a symbol of reconciliation by An All-Ireland Journey of Reconciliation Trust and the support of the people of Messines (now called by its Flemish name Mesen).For the remainder of the Great War the Division served in Gallipoli, Macedonia, Egypt, and Palestine.In September 1916 the 16th (Irish) Division fought on the Somme battlefield at Guillemont and Ginchy.As can be seen from the trench map, the German Front Line up to June 1917 was just to the west of the memorial.The photograph is taken at the Peace Park looking in a south-easterly direction across the British areas between Wulverghem on the right and the high ground of Hill 63 on the left.